28 September 2009

Red, Yellow, and Blue


I LOVE art. 
  I've dabbled in watercolors, acrylics, and oils.
I love coloring with oil pastels and have tried my hand at colored chalk. 
  I even married an artist.

But...all of these art experiences pale in comparison to children's art. 
My heart skips a beat as they discover the most basic and fundamental principle of art.
That is, that all colors are derived from just three colors...
red, yellow, and blue.
Here's Jon working on his color wheel.


To teach this principle, I love to take clay ("plasticine" for all you Canadians) in the primary colors.  Then, we take a small amount of red and a small amount of yellow.  Knead them together and VOILA!  Orange!

The surprise on the students' faces is priceless.
Then we repeat with yellow and blue=green 
then blue and red=purple.

A great activity.
Ethan, Gage, and Katja
working with the clay.

Zack, Melany, and Dallin making some green for their color wheels.

The finished product!
I'm not sure if this is a "color wheel"
or a "colon wheel"!  HA!
Once again, illustrating the power of proper letter formation.





1 comment:

  1. This is such a fun idea to mix the clays together. Dallin's younger brother and sister liked Dallin's wheel so much I think that I will have to duplicate it for them.

    ReplyDelete