03 September 2009

If we could all be a friend like Chloe...

...the world would be a better place.

Our very newest student, Daniela, joined our class last week.  It has been hard (as you can imagine) for her to be in a brand new class.  To be the "new kid".  There have been tears.  Many, many tears.  Her parents are very supportive and have helped her by walking her into the class each morning.  However, there are still tears.  I feel so badly when she cries.  One day she cried from morning until the afternoon.  All of the children were very concerned.
No matter what I said or did, she still cried.
"Teacher?  I'm scared."
or
"Teacher?  I'm shy."
or
"Teacher?  My tummy hurts."
or
  (and this was my favorite)
"Teacher?  Why do my eyes keep opening and shutting and opening and shutting?"

I didn't know how to help her.  I gave her hugs and encouragement but still, the tears would flow and she was just so sad when her daddy left her in class.

So, this morning, after the principal, her dad and myself finished our morning pep talk, Daniela was fighting back the tears once again.  I had another student, Chloe, who's grandma (my sister from another mother :)  ) works at my school, who was sitting in the class library waiting for the morning bell to ring.  I said, "Daniela, why don't you sit in the reading corner with Chloe and read for a minute until the bell rings?"

Then that blessed little Chloe, slid over as far as she could on one of my lawn chairs in the corner and said "Daniela, come and share this chair with me."

Wow!

That made all the difference.  Not one more tear was shed the rest of the day.
Thank you Chloe.  Thanks for being a good friend.  Thanks for solving my problem.
Most of all...
thanks for teaching ME how to be a good friend.

I love you and I love Daniela.
We'll see if your magic works 
tomorrow.
Chloe (left) and Daniela (right)

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet. How traumatizing is that to not feel like you have a friend at school. Yeah Cloe!

    ReplyDelete